Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Popping the Pontiac Cherry

This past Saturday night (actually, really damn early Sunday morning), I did something I haven't done in 9 years.

I felt like a virgin again, not quite sure what to do, looking around nervously for guidance. I knew I just had to go for it. I wrapped my hands around the almighty stick and stroked down on the powerful, vibrating shaft. I took a deep breath, opened my eyes really wide, and slammed the gearshift into reverse. After one quick jolt, the ride was smooth. It was almost as if no time had passed since the last time I drove a manual transmission. I was a true professional behind the wheel of Remi's beautiful steel gray (Pontiac) Vibe.

I didn't even make those awkward grinding noises or stall the car (like the last time I drove stick shift in my friend Heather's car in Tacoma and stalled it on a hill. Oops, sorry Heather. Perhaps I'll tell you about it when we go to Germany this summer since you no longer have that car and can forgive me now).

I have conquered the only stick that still made me nervous. I am the shaftmaster.

5 comments:

Greg said...

"I have conquered the only stick that still made me nervous." Classic.

Driving a manual is like riding a bike, I've found. No matter how long you go between driving, it comes back pretty quickly.

Andy Land said...

I got a stick shift again this past February. haven't owned a manual since I was 18. It is fun to have one again, though I still get a little freaked out stopping on hills. ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

what she hasn't mentioned...parked on an ever so slight hill we rolled forward several times before gracefully gunning it into reverse!

The rest of the story is accurate..very nice driving

thanks...
the drunken friend

Roxy said...

I'm still the shaftmaster...

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!