Monday, January 09, 2006

*$#%!

As a product of my upbringing, sometimes I get loud during conversations. Sometimes I make hand gestures. Sometimes I yell.

Somewhere along the way (not from my parents), I also learned to string pretty swear words together to create new phrases and designer declarations. This has led to spectacular swearing scenes, sometimes in public.

I'm not quite sure when the swearing started. I remember swearing in high school. A well-placed "shit" really drove home my teenage angst-filled points. College was more of the same. It was probably around the time I started working with plumbers that the shit hit the fan and no longer conveyed the same intensity as the word "fuck." It became part of my staple vocab - pass the fucking peas, please. I also picked up "jesus christ" from somewhere, and it certainly wasn't from going to church.

Last night after eighteen variations of "fuck" (some wrapped within the words "jesus christ") within a seven minute timespan, I decided to cut back, at least slightly, on the F-bomb and references to jc.

I've only said "fuck" three times today. JC has only come up twice.

I have noticed that I've shifted to using "shit" as an alternative. Maybe by the end of the week I'll downshift to "damn."

2 comments:

Francesca said...

Or poot. Or dang. Or my sainted aunt. Or oh my stars. Land's sake. Zounds. Zoiks. Holy curse words, Batman.

Sometimes I yell long and inventive insults like: May your Sicilian grandfather's eggplants wither on the vine! or "You are ugly and have an ugly dog" which can, of course, get shortened to "ugly dog!" which has the satisfaction of punchiness.

Ross said...

I have the same problem roxy. It was about the begining of my junior year when all the idiotic rednecks calling me gay (I'm not, not that its a bad thing), a mother fucker, an idiot (most definitely am not), and a string of other things which I don't care to type, made me switch from botteling up my anger or just letting it slide off my back to me yelling at them or acctually praying for the m to die, now i can'r stop swearing and I wish I could, but I'm trying to cut back. (man I hate being a democrat in a small town in a small red state)

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!