Saturday, January 21, 2006

Best Lines

As a part of my Book-A-Week campaign, I thought I could review the novels I read as an added bonus to readers. Then I thought, fuck it. If you want a book review, go to Amazon, the author's webpage, or Google it.

I will tell you however, that I did love the simple, woman-power theme of Alice Hoffman's "The Foretelling," and the Gabriel Garcia Marquez doesn't disappoint with "Memories of My Melancholy Whores."

The themes of power and wielding of power in Foretelling were simple, beautiful and summed up in this line: "The weak are cruel; the strong have no need to be."

In Memories, love consumes the narrator: "I became another man. I tried to reread the classics that had guided me in adolescence, and I could not bear them. I buried myself in the romantic writings I had repudiated when my mother tried to impose them on me with a heavy hand, and in them I became aware that the invincible power that has moved the world is unrequited, not happy, love."

Much to ponder...

1 comment:

Roxy said...

Graham - I posted on your site. I do like it! Nice color combo...

Any others to look at too?

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!