Thursday, August 04, 2005

Evil has roots

The other day, a former student of mine came to the University where I work to enroll. For two years, he's spoken of ambitions and dreams to code and program the games to which he is addicted. He is a hard worker - not the most brilliant - but the most dedicated. He plods along until he reaches a pinnacle of achievement and then looks beyond to the next challenge.

His mother works 3 jobs and supports 5 people - a sick husband, three children and a new grandbaby that was conceived by her high school dropout daughter. Strong and dedicated, Mom is, and I don't believe she finished high school. She is proud of her son for taking the road never traveled and inquiring about college. But she cannot pay for his journey.

He seeks cash for college to no avail. Scholarships? A lofty ambition. I received word two days ago that he is postponing ambitions because no one can offer him financial aid.

In a parallel timespan, my husband is informed that his school has decided to not continue the meager raises given to teachers last year. "Funding isn't available this year," they squawk. Meanwhile, the principal and primary charter owners just finished building custom homes in gated communities. The school doesn't have textbooks for half their classes. Now they are taking away the extra $40 a month they gifted to my husband as part of his salary last year? He is a dedicated teacher - has a good heart - really wants to help the kids.

As I sopped up the lake that infiltrated my front rotunda the other night (courtesy of the dizzying monsoon and gap between door and frame), I thought about how my wet plight was related to aforementioned issues. Trend Homes has yet to fix many of the items in our new house from our original punch list. We've been in our home for 8 months and can't get a few things taken care of because of "lack of resources," but most likely because Trend doesn't want to shell out a few dollars to back up their warranty claims.

Greed is ever present, I know this. Money is always just out of reach. What concerns me most is pervasive apathy and heartlessness. I just want to know - when did people stop caring?

6 comments:

Greg said...

Well, I care. But then I'm a sap. E-mail me with his name, because I'm sure I know who it is. Sad.

This is why I need to be dictator. All will be well then.

Roxy said...

It would be great if you were dictator. But you'd have to let Kevin be in charge of Homeland Security...

I'll email you the name. You know him very well

Ross said...

I have experianced these same thoughts everyday. I hate the way this world is going. I hate to even think what life will be like for our children. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out there with these thoughts. I geuss I will just have to continue keeping my hopes in the lord.

Roxy said...

I know Rokan - there are more of us who do care than those who don't... I just have to remember that...

ymelendez said...

I wonder who could this guy be? I think I have an idea. I feel terrible for him. I should start at Apollo college 8/25/05. I am reaching for medical assistant for now. I miss you Ms. Mercurio!!!! I miss Mr. Woodcox too.

Roxy said...

We miss you too, Yazil.

Mr. W is teaching at JG still for now --- and you can always come over to my school to see me! I'll buy lunch!

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!