Friday, February 02, 2007

Gaming, gamers, games, GAWD!

Commodore 64. Nintendo. The paddle. The Pacman table at the pizza parlor.

I loved the joystick. Still do.

While I do realize the blips, bleeps, and limited graphics are six feet down in the video game graveyard, I miss them. I miss the simplicity of the challenge on old video games - eat small pellets, avoid the ghosties, eat bouncing fruit and get to the next level. Jump over barrels, climb ladders, rescue the badly drawn girl from the big monkey. Do a triple tuck rolling dive into the pool at the Summer Olympics (does anyone else remember this game on the Commodore 64)? And my fave, typing in command prompts to find Dr. Livingston. We had to presume it was him - there were no graphics at all on that game.

Video games today are alternate universes. Full bodied characters with tits more real than mine feel like they are practically in the room with you. Vampires, gang bangers, militia men, marines, monsters - is there any character off limits? If I let him, my husband would sit in front of the big screen TV blowing shit up in surround sound 24 hours a day.

My personal opinion of video games? They're a way for the powerless to be in virtual control, to feel omnipotent. They're the brain break for the millennial generation. (Why the hell does the millenial generation need a brain break? Even us X'ers weren't as lazy and flippant.) They are coping mechanisms. And they've evolved into complex, crazy worlds that we use to escape the complex, crazy world in which we live.

Still I must admit I do play Trivia on the X-Box upon occasion. And, I love Karaoke Superstar. And the boxing game at Jillian's where I put on boxing gloves, step under the sensors, physically dodge punches, throw right hooks and uppercuts, jump around a bit, punch my opponent in the gut, and then laugh as he erphs and ouphs and bleeds before he falls and I am celebrated as the victor. I like that one too.

With all these conflicting emotions, I embrace my upcoming trip to GDC07. The Game Developers conference is an orgy of companies showcasing the latest and greatest video game technologies. There are expos, presentations, workshops, and plenty of games to explore during the first full week of March in San Francisco.

And I'm plenty excited about the "I am 8-bit: version 2.007 Preview Exhibit" session. And the 5 days in San Francisco at the Serrano can't hurt.

Added bonus? I get to see Heather!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok...Vogue has Karaoke Revolution, the American Idol version!!

Last time we played Simon made the following comments:

to Jeffe - "take 20 cats, put them into a bag, now shake the bag. Thats what you just sounded like"
to Vogue - "I think you just attracted every stray cat in America with that performance"
To me - "You're voice is inhuman"
((I did unlock the Ricky Martin song, She Bangs & the William Hung video to go with it...so how my voice could be inhuman is beyond me!! ha))

We played while drinking...makes the game even better!!!

Roxy said...

Why can't I be there?????

Unknown said...

If I can find a way to both steal & pack it I'll bring it with to New Orleans! ha!!

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!