Saturday, January 20, 2007

the cost of happiness

For two brief months, I lived better. I thought about the kind of life I want - a smaller home, a brief commute, a city existence outside of suburbia. Kevin and I planned to think small rather than sprawling. We want to travel, to enjoy things outside the home.

And then, today, we bought a house. It's really beautiful. The lot is surrounded by trees. The house is bigger than we need right now - we have room to grow. The mortgage will be hundreds above my comfort number.

Will we travel? Will we still enjoy life? Is it really just about making a home, raising some kids, and trying to stay out of crushing debt? I think about debt on a regular basis. What amount is too much? How much does happiness cost?

For this moment, I have my answer. Happiness (with a morning room, walkout basement, gourmet kitchen, bay windows and a luxury bath) runs about $350,000 (before design upgrades).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I call dibs on the upstairs guest room that is not across from the laundry room!!!

If you could put a sign above the door that reads "Remi's Room" I'd be greatly appreciative.

Uh yeah thanks :)

Roxy said...

How about Remi's Love Shack instead?

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!