Thursday, April 01, 2004

Quote of the Day

I'm teaching hoaxes, scams and how to catch con-artists to my first hour Technology class. This is part of an internet security unit, but I secretly hope that someday they'll realize I've given them the tools to pull off a grand money making scheme and they'll send me some cash.

To open today's lesson, I asked my students to respond to the following quote: "You can't cheat an honest man." I thought it would garner some interesting responses. Of course, I don't know how I'd respond, because I think the quote is tinged with a little b.s.

Then, someone better than I explained to me that this quote is true. He said that an honest man wouldn't want something for nothing and can see the truth.

Yeah, I still don't understand it. I sometimes wonder why this honest man is with me.

But, my favorite thing out of all this was my student Bonnie's response:

"I think that this quote is bull because you can cheat anyone if they're stupid enough to be cheated. I think that this means that if your honest that no one will cheat you. Thats a lie because of the fact that you need to be around honest people to be totally honest. So I think that the quote is a bunch of crap."

'Nuff said.

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!