Friday, February 04, 2005

Teaching Reflections

I am not a great teacher. I usually pass mediocre. Sometimes, I stumble upon good. In no way am I teacher of the year.

Lately, I've been disillusioned with my current profession. Endless questions---was I chosen to do this? Should I be teaching? Why am I here?

Upon reflection last weekend, I realized I wanted to remember what it was like to be a newby. My colleagues in my Masters program are beginning their student teaching and I am jealous. I want to have that excitement again.

I came into my classroom Monday and looked around at my quasi-depressing room. Yes, there are pictures on the walls but there are also carvings in the tables. I could have chosen to focus on the bad, but I knew I needed to change my attitude.

I decided to smile more and scowl less. I changed all my lesson plans around. I altered policies and procedures in my second hour class. I listened to their stories with virgin ears. I shared some of my own stories as well. I opened my heart. I reached some of them and reaffirmed my belief that I can't help the ones who don't want the help.

Teaching is not my last profession. For now, it is my current calling. And no matter what, this journey into the classroom is worth it every day as long as I help one child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's cheesy, but when times get tough and the pillars of heaven shake and the rain is pouring down in sheets like lead, just remember what 'ol Peter Gabriel says...

"don't give up
'cos you have friends
don't give up
you're not beaten yet
don't give up
I know you can make it good"

-Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up"

Roxy said...

Gotta love Gabriel. Thanks...

About Me

Stupidly self-centered for over 3 decades!